Novak Djokovic won't be defending his Miami Open title because of a right elbow injury, the Serbian world number two announced on Sunday.
The injury is the latest setback for Djokovic, who has suffered a drop in form since completing a sweep of grand slam titles at last year's French Open.
"My doctor has strongly advised against play because my elbow injury, that I keep carrying on for months, got worse in the past week," Djokovic said on the tournament's website.
"I will do everything in my power to recover and do all the necessary therapy to be able to return on court as soon as possible."
Novak Djokovic has been forced to withdraw due to an elbow injury. We wish a quick recovery to our champion. pic.twitter.com/BPof3TwgWw— Miami Open (@MiamiOpen) 19 March 2017
Djokovic pull-out follows Andy Murray withdrawal
Djokovic, who has won a record-tying six titles in Miami, joins world number one Andy Murray on the sidelines of the hardcourt event as the latter withdrew on Saturday, also citing a right elbow injury.
The 29-year-old was beaten by Nick Kyrgios last week in the fourth round at Indian Wells, marking his second loss to the Australian in less than two weeks.
Djokovic described it as "shocking" that he would have to miss the event, where he won his first Masters title before making his ascent towards the top of the world rankings.
"No wonder they say that in sport the biggest and most painful defeats come from injuries, and not from opponents," said Djokovic.
I apologize to my fans and ppl who purchased tickets to watch me play live at @MiamiOpen. Sadly, I'm injured and won't be able to compete.— Novak Djokovic (@DjokerNole) 19 March 2017
"I am lucky that throughout my career I didn't have many injuries, but I guess that all that I've been through physically in the past so many years did leave a mark on my body."
The Miami Open begins on Monday, running until 2 April.