LALIGA | BARÇA - ATLÉTICO
Simeone tries out a 4-1-4-1 ahead of trip to Camp Nou
Antoine Griezmann will plow a lone furrow up top and Augusto Fernández will protect the defence as Atlético aim to tame Barcelona's attack.
Atlético Madrid are planning to take every necessary precaution in the top-of-the-table clash at Camp Nou on Saturday afternoon, judging by the squad’s final training session on Friday. Diego Simeone was working with a 4-1-4-1 blueprint ahead of the meeting with the in-form Liga leaders, with three central midfielders and new signing Augusto Fernández sitting in from of the back four. Antoine Griezmann will be the lone forward for the visitors.
Simeone’s game plan is to try and put the stoppers on the attacking potential of Barça’s feared front three of Leo Messi, Neymar and Luis Suárez by cutting their supply lines from midfield and preventing the home forwards from playing off the shoulders of Gabi and Saúl and launching swift counters. The Atlético coach looks set to opt for Griezmann as a lone striker with Ángel Correa serving a suspension and Fernando Torres injured. Jackson Martínez and Luciano Vietto have been far from prolific this season and will start on the bench.
The starting 11 that Simeone used in training was made up of Oblak; Juanfran, Godín, Giménez, Filipe; Augusto; Koke, Saúl, Gabi, Carrasco; Griezmann.
Te recomendamos en English
- Real Betis Rubi: “Lainez is ready but Guido Rodriguez still needs to adapt to the league”
- MLS TUDN: LA Galaxy leaves 14 jersey open so Chicharito could claim it
- BARCELONA Setién: "Messi did what Messi always does"
- BARCELONA Busquets: "You'll see what Setién is asking of us"
- Premier League Van Dijk refuses to agree that title race is over
- Bundesliga Not every team wins 4-0 in Berlin! Flick lauds his Bayern side