Real Madrid made €12m offer for Independiente striker
Galatasaray sporting director Fatih Isbecer reveals the Turkish club gave up pursuit of Martín Benítez after learning of Real's interest.
Real Madrid are continuing to scour the market for promising youngsters and after running the rule over Boca Juniors’ 18-year-old midfielder Rodrigo Bentancur the Bernabéu have now switched their attention to Martín Benítez, a 21-year-old forward with Independiente de Avellaneda.
Real’s interest was revealed by Galatasaray sporting director Fatih Isbecer, who said that the Turkish club had also made an approach: “We tried to sign him but Independiente asked us for 10.5 million euros for the player because, they told us, Real Madrid had offered 12 million for him,” Isbecer said.
Real Madrid and Atlético on Friday both received a stay of the transfer bans imposed on both clubs by Fifa, meaning that they should be cleared to sign players in the summer transfer window, if the appeals are not thrown out before July 1. However, Real have made a point of signing emerging players in recent January windows and Benítez, a nippy forward who likes to run at defenders, fits the recent bill of Real’s transfer activity. Benítez made his debut for Independiente in 2011 and has represented Argentina at under-17 level. Last season he made 26 appearances for the Primera División club, scoring six times.
Galatasaray have been chasing Benítez throughout the winter window and even sent a delegation to Avellaneda to try and push through a deal. However, the club rebuffed the approach and Galatasaray have since given up on the deal after learning of Real’s interest.
Te recomendamos en English
- US CORONAVIRUS NEWS How many Johnson & Johnson vaccines have been administered in the US?
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE When are Champions League semi-finals played?
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Neymar: "PSG are a team, we showed it against Bayern"
- NBA Durant focused on returning to full fitness, not Nets-76ers showdown
- Stimulus Checks What ID can I use to cash stimulus checks?
- USA What does Biden's $2.3 trillion infrastructure plan include?