LALIGA | BARÇA 2 - ATLÉTICO 1
Atleti's Augusto suffers potentially serious knee injury
The midfielder had to be carried off during the second half of Atlético’s defeat to Barça at the Camp Nou, with the club confirming he is to undergo a scan.
Atlético Madrid‘s Augusto Fernández was forced off during his side’s 2-1 La Liga defeat to Barcelona at the Camp Nou on Saturday, the midfielder pulling up with an injury to his left knee after challenging for the ball with Arda Turan.
The 29-year-old immediately called for attention after the 71st minute incident and was replaced by Thomas Partey, adding to boss Diego Simeone’s woes in the wake of the red cards shown to Filipe Luis and Diego Godín during the clash.
Augusto was carried off on a stretcher in visible pain, and was taken straight to the dressing rooms, where he was looked over by the Rojiblancos’ medical team.
After the final whistle, Atleti issued a medical report confirming that the player had twisted his knee leading to apparent ligament damage, and is to undergo a scan to determine the exact extent of the problem.
The Argentinian joined the Vicente Calderón outfit from Celta Vigo during the current transfer window, in a bid by the club to reinforce their midfield options with Tiago Mendes a long-term absentee.
Te recomendamos en English
- Premier League Man City chief says alleged FFP breaches are "simply not true"
- Qatar 2022 Eto'o: The 2022 World Cup will be an exceptional experience for fans
- Dortmund 2-1 PSG Haaland: Dortmund star touches world 60m record against PSG
- ATLÉTICO MADRID "Anfield's very old, it wouldn't pass the UEFA inspection"
- Champions League Mourinho looking to end six-year Champions League drought
- Transfer market Messi: LA Galaxy offer Barça star escape route amid crisis