LALIGA | BARÇA 2 - ATLÉTICO 1
Atleti's Augusto suffers potentially serious knee injury
The midfielder had to be carried off during the second half of Atlético’s defeat to Barça at the Camp Nou, with the club confirming he is to undergo a scan.
Atlético Madrid‘s Augusto Fernández was forced off during his side’s 2-1 La Liga defeat to Barcelona at the Camp Nou on Saturday, the midfielder pulling up with an injury to his left knee after challenging for the ball with Arda Turan.
The 29-year-old immediately called for attention after the 71st minute incident and was replaced by Thomas Partey, adding to boss Diego Simeone’s woes in the wake of the red cards shown to Filipe Luis and Diego Godín during the clash.
Augusto was carried off on a stretcher in visible pain, and was taken straight to the dressing rooms, where he was looked over by the Rojiblancos’ medical team.
After the final whistle, Atleti issued a medical report confirming that the player had twisted his knee leading to apparent ligament damage, and is to undergo a scan to determine the exact extent of the problem.
The Argentinian joined the Vicente Calderón outfit from Celta Vigo during the current transfer window, in a bid by the club to reinforce their midfield options with Tiago Mendes a long-term absentee.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Gareth Bale determined to seize Clásico chance
- BARCELONA Barcelona: at least three players could leave in the January window
- REAL MADRID Barnett: "There's no guarantee that Bale is leaving Real Madrid"
- SERIE A "We're living in 1920": Lukaku's agent 'ashamed' of 'Black Friday' headline
- SERIE A Smalling: 'Black Friday' headline "wrong and highly insensitive"
- CRYSTAL PALACE Andros Townsend opens up about his gambling addiction: "I lost €54,000 in one night"