AFA come down hard on Álvaro Pereira: 8-match ban
The Argentinean Football Federation confirmed suspensions handed to those involved in incidents after the Gimnasia v Estudiantes match.
Álvaro Pereira won’t be able to make his Getafe debut until 3 April. This morning, the Argentinean Football Federation (AFA) confirmed the suspensions which have been handed to those involved in incidents during and after Sunday’s friendly between Gimnasia and Estudiantes in Mar de Plata. Referee Silvio Trucco had to stop the match after a mass brawl broke out on the pitch.
The heaviest punishment has been handed to Uruguayan left-back Álvaro Pereira, who joined Getafe on loan on deadline day. Pereira has been given a an eight-match ban – his offence, which included lashing out at Facundo Oreja, was deemed so serious, it warranted punishment in excess of the standard four-match ban. He now must complete his suspension in the competition he is taking part in.
It means that Getafe will be without their new signing for forthcoming games against Málaga, Atlético de Madrid, Levante, Celta, Las Palmas, Sevilla, Barcelona and Eibar. Pereira, who has yet to arrive in Madrid to be incorporated into the squad, will be able to make his debut in Week 31 when Getafe are guests at Rayo Vallecano. It’s a huge blow for the player and the club who are left with just one left-back in the squad -Roberto Lago, who is recovering from injury.
Te recomendamos en English
- AFCON qualifiers Despite an early scare, Nigeria too strong for plucky Lesotho
- Barcelona Barcelona: Dani Olmo leaves door open for Camp Nou return
- MLS Mandzukic: Inter Miami and LA Galaxy want Juventus striker
- European Championships England end Euro 2020 qualifying campaign on a high
- Euro 2020 Van Dijk leaves Netherlands squad due to personal reasons
- CRISTIANO RONALDO Cristiano: "You all invented a story that all was not well at Juve"