ATLÉTICO MADRID - EIBAR
Simeone forced into rookie back line for Eibar visit
The Atlético manager has only 16 first team players available for Saturday's match and has called up Theo and Nacho Monsalve from Atlético B.
A raft of injuries and suspensions has left Diego Simeone with just 16 first team players for Atlético’s home game against Eibar on Saturday (16.00, CET). Juanfran, Diego Godín, Filipe Luis, Stefan Savic, Augusto Fernández and Tiago are all unavailable while Jackson Martínez and Guilherme Siqueira both left the Calderón during the transfer window.
Simeone has been forced to dip into the youth ranks to bolster his defensive options and has called up Nacho Monsalve and Theo Hernández from Atlético B. Monsalve has represented the first team in pre-season and friendly matches and Theo, the younger brother of Lucas Hernández, can play either in the centre of defence or at left back.
Simeone confirmed in his pre-match press conference that Savic has been ruled out of the match with a muscle strain and that his back four against Eibar will consist of Jesús Gámez, José Giménez, Saúl and Lucas, a makeshift line that has never previously played together.
Simeone’s starting 11 for the game is likely to be: Oblak; Gámez, Giménez, Saúl, Lucas; Thomas, Gabi, Koke, Carrasco; Griezmann and Correa.
On the bench will be: Moyà, Monsalve, Theo, Kranevitter, Óliver, Fernando Torres and Vietto.
Te recomendamos en English
- Entertainment The Oscars 2021: when are nominations announced and when is the ceremony?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks $1,400 third stimulus check: do any Republicans support the bill?
- American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 $400 unemployment benefits: how long has the House extended them?
- PLAYSTATION How to download Ratchet & Clank for free on PS4 & PS5: dates, times & availability
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Why was there a proposal for a $10,000 stimulus check and could it pass?
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT OF 2021 $400 new weekly unemployment benefits: when are they coming?