USA leave it late to knock off Canada
Jozy Altidore scored an 89th minute winner to give Jurgen Klinsmann’s side a narrow 1-0 win in Los Angeles.
Toronto FC striker Jozy Altidore headed home a last-minute header to gift the United States a 1-0 win over Canada at the StubHub Centre on Friday night.
Substitute Ethan Finlay, who came on in the 88th minute, delivered the cross that resulted in Altidore's goal, which gave the United States their second last-gasp victory in as many matches.
Coach Jurgen Klinsmann said after the game that his side deserved their hard-fought win: "I think they got rewarded tonight with that late goal. They more than deserved that result, that win. There was only one team playing, and it was us... it was just us doing all the work."
On Sunday, it was Steve Birnbaum's 90th minute header that lifted the USA to a 3-2 friendly victory over Iceland.
"There was only one team playing, and it was us... it was just us doing all the work."
The matches are part of the United States' preparations for key March matches. The national team will play at Guatemala on 25th March and host the same rivals four days later in qualifying for the 2018 World Cup.
The Under-23 squad, several of whom were also in coach Jurgen Klinsmann's January training camp in California, meet Colombia in a two-leg playoff next month to decide who takes the final berth in August's Rio de Janeiro Olympic tournament.
Canada are also in World Cup qualifying action in March, with back-to-back matches against Mexico.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Martin Luther King Jr Day: most famous quotes & speeches
- US POLITICS Biden-Harris reveal inauguration playlist: songs and where to listen
- NFL NFL conference championship finals: dates, times & previews
- NFL Playoff Final When and where is Super Bowl LV 2021? - Date, location & kick-off time
- NFL Patrick Mahomes injured: When could he return?
- UNITED STATES $1,400 third stimulus check updates today: when is it coming, What Biden said about it, eligibility, IRS tax | Live