USA leave it late to knock off Canada
Jozy Altidore scored an 89th minute winner to give Jurgen Klinsmann’s side a narrow 1-0 win in Los Angeles.
Toronto FC striker Jozy Altidore headed home a last-minute header to gift the United States a 1-0 win over Canada at the StubHub Centre on Friday night.
Substitute Ethan Finlay, who came on in the 88th minute, delivered the cross that resulted in Altidore's goal, which gave the United States their second last-gasp victory in as many matches.
Coach Jurgen Klinsmann said after the game that his side deserved their hard-fought win: "I think they got rewarded tonight with that late goal. They more than deserved that result, that win. There was only one team playing, and it was us... it was just us doing all the work."
On Sunday, it was Steve Birnbaum's 90th minute header that lifted the USA to a 3-2 friendly victory over Iceland.
"There was only one team playing, and it was us... it was just us doing all the work."
The matches are part of the United States' preparations for key March matches. The national team will play at Guatemala on 25th March and host the same rivals four days later in qualifying for the 2018 World Cup.
The Under-23 squad, several of whom were also in coach Jurgen Klinsmann's January training camp in California, meet Colombia in a two-leg playoff next month to decide who takes the final berth in August's Rio de Janeiro Olympic tournament.
Canada are also in World Cup qualifying action in March, with back-to-back matches against Mexico.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADID | RAMÓN CALDERÓN "Real Madrid's coffers are empty, they have bills of €1,000M"
- BARCELONA Barcelona captains issue scathing letter to board
- MANCHESTER UNITED He'll bring quality for sure – Ziyech urges patience with Van de Beek at Man Utd
- AJAX Ajax suffer Kudus injury blow in Liverpool defeat
- Presidential Debates Last Trump – Biden debate: what will happen and which topics will be discussed?
- US NEWS US elections 2020: who is the moderator for the final presidential debate?