LALIGA | ATLÉTICO MADRID 3-1 EIBAR
Atlético come back against Eibar as Torres reaches century
Atlético kept up the pressure at the top of the table with goals from Giménez, Saúl and Torres, who scored his 100th for the club. Keko gave Eibar the lead.
Atlético Madrid overcame their current injury woes to record an important win over Eibar in the Vicente Calderón and keep their title hopes alive.
After a tight first half that finished goalless, Keko, brought up through the rojiblanco ranks, put the visitors ahead after 46 minutes after pouncing on a slip by Saúl. The goal was a sucker-punch for the home side and silenced the crowd, although Simeone’s men kept their heads and reacted to going behind. The equalizer came in the 56th minute from Giménez, who emphatically rose to beat Riesgo in the Eibar goal and head Atlético level. Saúl then made amends for his earlier defensive blunder to head his side in front after 62 minutes.
Once the home side took the lead they should have been out of reach but left it late to settle nerves. Vietto had a goal disallowed, while Torres, on as a substitute, had a host of chances to seal the win and score his elusive one hundredth goal for the club. However, El Niño’s patience and endeavor were rewarded as he reached his century with a classic piece of number 9 play, losing his marker and slotting the ball home.
The win sees Simeone’s side keep their title aspirations intact ahead of Barcelona’s trip to Levante on Sunday.
Te recomendamos en English
- DIEGO MARADONA Maradona's inheritance: the fortune includes houses and cars
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League in Opta stats: Barcelona go for five in a row, Ronaldo after another record
- PREMIER LEAGUE Mourinho optimistic over Kane return for Arsenal
- ARSENAL Arteta confident goals will come for Arsenal
- US NEWS US Elections: Georgia elections official tells Trump to stop inspiring violence
- US congress What has Congress said about the government shutdown deadline?