Badstuber ruled out for three months after ankle surgery
The Germany international had just returned from injury. Bayern Boss Pep Guardiola now has serious defensive shortages for European tie against Juve.
Bayern Munich defender Holger Badstuber, who has already lost two years of his career to a knee injury, has been ruled out for another three months after fracturing his ankle in training.
"Unbelievable bad luck for Holger Badstuber and Bayern. The defender suffered a broken ankle during training without any contact from anyone else," said the Bundesliga leaders in a statement.
Bayern added that the 26-year-old had already undergone surgery.
Badstuber, who has won 31 caps for Germany, has made just 17 Bundesliga appearances since his first serious injury, a torn cruciate knee ligament in 2012.
He re-injured the knee six months later and missed the whole of the 2013-14 season, including the World Cup.
Badstuber returned to competitive action early last year, only to suffer a thigh muscle injury in April which kept him out for another six months.
He had played nine games since his latest comeback in November and had just begun to show signs of a return to form. Bayern also have centre-backs Jerome Boateng, Medhi Benatia and Javi Martínez out of action through injury. Bayern travel to Turin next week for the first leg of their Champions League last 16 tie against Juventus.
Germany coach Joachim Loew also described Badstuber's run of injuries as "unbelievable" after the Bayern Munich centre back's hopes of playing at Euro 2016 were hit.
Te recomendamos en English
- Champions League Pep Guardiola calls for Man City shutdown after UEFA decision
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Mané looks to surpass Ronaldo, Dortmund prepare for Mbappé – UCL in Opta numbers
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Report links club with Facebook accounts aimed at damaging players' images
- MANCHESTER UNITED Fernandes' set-pieces "top class" – Solskjaer lauds new Man Utd signing
- ATLÉTICO-LIVERPOOL Simeone: "Pessimism? I see optimism and hope"
- ATLÉTICO-LIVERPOOL Klopp: "Atlético are a machine - they're not playing as badly as people make out"