Real Madrid appeal Raphael Varane yellow cards
Los Blancos have moved to challenge the two bookings that saw the French defender sent off in their weekend victory over Athletic Club.
Real Madrid have submitted an appeal against the two yellow cards picked up by defender Raphael Varane in Saturday's La Liga victory over Athletic Club.
As things stand, the Frenchman's dismissal for being booked twice against the Basque outfit would leave him suspended for Sunday's league clash with Málaga (16:00 CET).
Referee Alfonso Javier Álvarez Izquierdo cautioned Varane after a first-half aerial tussle with Athletic's Aritz Aduriz at the Bernabéu, before showing him another yellow in the closing stages after a similar challenge with the striker.
Real's opinion is that neither of the incidents constituted a bookable offence, with boss Zinedine Zidane and the club's director of institutional relations, Emilio Butragueño, expressing their surprise at the decisions post-match.
The Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) Competition Commmittee will deliver its verdict on Wednesday. A resolution in Los Blancos' favour would represent a defensive boost for Zidane, who has centre-back Pepe currently sidelined with a foot injury.
If the Committee rules against Real, the club will have the option of lodging a second challenge with the RFEF's Appeals Committee.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Doctors warn CDC to advise about vaccine side effects
- coronavirus Stimulus checks Second stimulus check: which proposals have been unsuccessfully discussed?
- GAMING Where to buy PS5 on Black Friday: restocks times & deals at GameStop, Walmart, Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon...
- US NEWS Black Friday 2020 opening hours and best deals in Burlington, Zara, North Face & Under Armour
- US NEWS Why has Trump pardoned Michael Flynn?
- US News Black Friday 2020 opening hours & best deals in Kohls, Best Buy, Wayfair & TJ Maxx