Ronnie O'Sullivan avoids 147 maximum over 'cheap' prize
The 'Essex Excocet' turned off his after-burners while on course for a maximum break when he realised what the prize money for the feat was. "Not enough" in his opinion.
Ronnie O'Sullivan rejected the chance to finish a 147 maximum break in his Welsh Open first round match on Monday because he felt the 12,000 euros prize on offer was 'too cheap'.
O'Sullivan was on course for the maximum milestone in the final frame of his 4-1 win over Barry Pinches at Cardiff's Motorpoint Arena after potting 13 reds and blacks.
But just as the five-time world champion looked set for the 14th maximum break of his career, he played a surprise positional shot onto the pink despite having made several audacious shots earlier in the break to return to the black.
He duly cleared up for a 146 break and left the arena with a pleased grin on his face.
Asked about the incident afterwards, O'Sullivan told BBC Wales: 'I could have got on the black and possibly made a 147.
'I knew it was 10 grand and I just thought that's a bit too cheap really. To make a maxi, it's such a massive achievement and if they're going to pay us 10 grand, I think it's worth a bit more than that.
'Once the prize goes up a bit, I'll go for the 147. A 146 is just as good!'
O'Sullivan refused to pot the final black in the final frame of his match at the 2010 World Open in Glasgow when he was told there was no bonus prize. The English star had to be convinced to pot the final ball by referee Jan Verhaas.
The 147 prize is a roll-over pot, with 6,500 euros being added in each tournament until the total is claimed. Australia's Neil Robertson made the most recent maximum in December's UK Championship final, winning 57,000 euros including the 5,000 euro prize for the tournament high break.
Te recomendamos en English
- Olympic Games Zverev sorry for sinking Djokovic's Golden Slam hopes
- Tax Refund How many Americans will receive the $1600 Tax refund payment?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Women´s 100m final, USA Basketball, medal count, results, today 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Henry Martín could miss Mexico’s game against South Korea
- OLYMPIC GAMES What's the top speed of a 100m sprinter?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS What are Usain Bolt's records on the Olympic track? 100m, 200m...