Cruyff "thrilled" by Messi and Suárez's two-man penalty
The Barça legend's reaction to the spot-kick was revealed by Televisió de Catalunya chief Tatxo Benet, a personal friend of the Dutchman.
Benet, who is head of the broadcaster Televisió de Catalunya, took to his Twitter account on Monday to describe Cruyff's reaction to the spot-kick, revealing that he watched it live on television.
Johan Cruyff va veure el penal d'ahir en directe per televisió i es va emocionar.— Tatxo Benet (@tatxobenet) February 15, 2016
The goal has captured sporting headlines across the globe and has in a number of quarters been interpreted as a touching, direct tribute to the Dutchman, who is currently fighting lung cancer.
Cruyff, who enjoyed success both as a Barça player and as coach of the Camp Nou outfit, scored a similar penalty with Ajax in 1982, playing his kick to team-mate Jesper Olsen before netting the Dane's return pass.
The 68-year-old was diagnosed with cancer in 2015, and has kept a lower media profile since making his illness public.
This weekend, however, he released a statement explaining that his treatment has so far brought "very positive" results, adding: "Right now, I have the feeling that I am 2-0 up in the first half of a match that has not finished yet. But I am sure that I will end up winning."
Whether or not it was a meant as a gesture to Cruyff, Messi's moment of magic is sure to have given the Dutch legend strength in his battle.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Mourinho mocks Real Madrid while discussing "remarkable" Gareth Bale
- Transfer market Messi set for Barcelona stay, Juve, Man Utd eye Ajax's Gravenberch
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid to offer Vinicius and Isco for Paulo Dybala
- Champions League Tuchel: "Are Juventus first in the league? Are Madrid or Barcelona?"
- GAMING NEWS Among Us: how to download and play for free on PC, Mac, mobile
- CORONAVIRUS Unemployment benefits: how many people could lose the aid if not extended?