Cruyff "thrilled" by Messi and Suárez's two-man penalty
The Barça legend's reaction to the spot-kick was revealed by Televisió de Catalunya chief Tatxo Benet, a personal friend of the Dutchman.
Benet, who is head of the broadcaster Televisió de Catalunya, took to his Twitter account on Monday to describe Cruyff's reaction to the spot-kick, revealing that he watched it live on television.
Johan Cruyff va veure el penal d'ahir en directe per televisió i es va emocionar.— Tatxo Benet (@tatxobenet) February 15, 2016
The goal has captured sporting headlines across the globe and has in a number of quarters been interpreted as a touching, direct tribute to the Dutchman, who is currently fighting lung cancer.
Cruyff, who enjoyed success both as a Barça player and as coach of the Camp Nou outfit, scored a similar penalty with Ajax in 1982, playing his kick to team-mate Jesper Olsen before netting the Dane's return pass.
The 68-year-old was diagnosed with cancer in 2015, and has kept a lower media profile since making his illness public.
This weekend, however, he released a statement explaining that his treatment has so far brought "very positive" results, adding: "Right now, I have the feeling that I am 2-0 up in the first half of a match that has not finished yet. But I am sure that I will end up winning."
Whether or not it was a meant as a gesture to Cruyff, Messi's moment of magic is sure to have given the Dutch legend strength in his battle.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS New York City FC signs Thiago Andrade from Bahia
- LALIGA Atlético boss Simeone tells LaLiga hopefuls to 'resist' in title push as injuries mount
- BARCELONA "Vincius' agents betrayed us" - says ex-Barcelona head of South America
- MLS When is Opening Day for the 2021 MLS season?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check live updates: is a fourth payment coming, expected dates, plus-up payments, tracker
- CORONAVIRUS When are you fully vaccinated from Covid: which vaccines require two doses?