Eibar already top last year's total
In only their second season in the Primera the club from the Basque country are having an exceptional year and have amassed more points by February than in 2014/15.
In beating Levante Sunday past it was not only a moment to celebrate the three points. Fans and everyone associated with the club could acknowledge the vast improvement in their team's performances in the league as they surpassed the total number of points that they achieved in the whole of their 2014/15 campaign - and by Valentine's Day.
Upon the completion of last season, the little Basque club had notched up 35 points and, with 14 matches and 42 points still to play for, they currently sit proudly in 6th position with 36 points. A European spot is amzingly a realistic possibility for the team that plays in front of just over 6,000 supporters - 6,267 is all the Ipurua Municipal Stadium can hold which, to give it some perspective, is similar to that of teams in the 4th tier of the English football leagues.
Those fans have been kept very happy though and have already enjoyed four goals more for their team by mid-February than in the whole of last year (38 v 34).
The threat of relegation, an obvious concern at the commencement of this season, has now gone and the club can focus on pushing as hard as possible for a strong finish knowing that they will again be playing against the big boys of Spain next year...and maybe those of the continent.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Third stimulus check, $1,400, coronavirus and latest US news live
- PSG Messi to PSG? Leandro Paredes hopes Barcelona star can be persuaded to join
- CORNELLÀ VS BARCELONA Cornellà vs Barcelona live online: Copa del Rey 2020/21
- US NEWS Third stimulus check: when could it arrive after Biden becomes President?
- BUNDESLIGA Rummenigge on Upamecano interest and Leroy Sané rumours
- US NEWS What's Joe Biden promised to do on his first 100 days in government?