Fuenlabrada sack coach Fernando Morientes
The club elected to part company with the former Real Madrid and Spain striker with the side 11th in Segunda División B Group II.
Fernando Morientes has been sacked as coach of Segunda B side Fuenlabrada, who are 11th in Group II of the Spanish third tier with eight wins, eight draws and nine defeats so far this season.
Morientes joined the southern Madrid side on a two-year contract last June and was the poster boy for the club’s new project after a glittering playing career. With an annual budget of around one million euros, Fuenla had designs on getting in among the promotion places in Segunda B to attempt a promotion push.
However, in parting ways with Morientes club president Jonathan Praena noted “inconsistency in results required a change to give the necessary push” to the side’s ambition.
“It has been a very difficult decision to make and one that was taken only after a profound period of reflection, as it meant parting company with one of the key pieces of the new project,” Praena said in a statement. “We wish Fernando the best of luck in his career and thank him for his professionalism and hard work.”
So far in the 2015-16 campaign, Morientes’ side earned 23 points from a possible 39 at home but their away form has been detrimental to their promotion push, with just nine points gained from a potential 36 on the road.
Te recomendamos en English
- BORUSSIA DORTMUND Haaland's competitive approach rubbing off on Dortmund team mates
- PREMIER LEAGUE Leicester's Ndidi to miss Man City clash
- Barcelona Barcelona: Martin Braithwaite presentation live online
- BORUSSIA DORTMUND Dortmund's golden boys: Reyna, Haaland and Sancho
- Barcelona Braithwaite: "I'm a goalscorer so I'm here to score goals"
- Europa League Getafe vs Ajax live online: Europa League 2019-20