SPORTING 1 - 3 BARCELONA
Messi surpasses 300 league goals in Barça win at Gijón
The Argentine also registered the 10,000th strike in Barcelona's history as he finished Los Azulgranas' victory at El Molinón on 301 in La Liga.
Barcelona's Lionel Messi surpassed the 300-goal mark in La Liga in Los Azulgranas' 3-1 victory over Sporting Gijón on Wednesday.
And on an evening that saw Luis Enrique's men go six points clear at the top of the table, the Argentine ace followed up that personal milestone with a landmark strike in the club's history.
Messi, whose two-man penalty with Luis Suárez had seen him pass up the opportunity to reach his treble century against Celta Vigo on Sunday, brought up the figure in the 25th minute at El Molinón as he opened the scoring with a low shot past Gijón keeper Pichu Cuellar.
After Carlos Castro had equalised for the hosts, Messi then put Barcelona back in front with a close-range finish to move on to 301 - and in the process register the Camp Nou side's 10,000th ever competitive goal.
The 28-year-old had also netted Barça's 9,000th effort against Almería in March 2010.
Te recomendamos en English
- PSG Real Madrid watch as tensions grow between Mbappé and PSG
- EURO 2020 Cristiano Ronaldo becomes European Championship's record goalscorer
- NBA Who are the highest paid NBA players in 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth stimulus check: what organizations are in favor of a new payment?
- US News Unemployment benefits: can you keep the payments if you go back to work?
- US News Which states have abolished federal unemployment benefits and why?