Aubameyang: “I promised my grandfather I’d play for Madrid”
Dortmund’s Gabonese star spoke to L’Equipe: “I told him before he died. It’s difficult but it’s something I keep in mind.”
Some promises just stick with you and Borussia Dortmund’s prolific goalscorer Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang made a very special one to his grandfather.
“Before he died two years ago I promised him that one day I would play for Real Madrid,” he said to L’Equipe. “My grandfather was from Avila, not far from Madrid. It’s what I said to him. I know it’s not easy but it’s something I keep in mind.
“I celebrate my goals with a cartwheel in honour of Hugo Sánchez. I’ve seen many videos of him on the internet and I’ve been following him since I was a boy.”
What’s clear is that he doesn’t hide his desire to play in Spain. “To play for Madrid or for another great club in La Liga would be a nice gift to my mother, Margarita, who is Spanish.”
Aubameyang has taken the Bundesliga by storm, combining incredible pace with his goalscoring instincts. So far this season he’s scored 30 goals in just 32 games.
“I’ve spent a lot of time in front of goal practicing my finishing with both feet and with my head, playing as a number 9,” he said.
Prising him away from Dortmund won’t be easy for any interested party, however. The club’s Sporting Director Michael Zorc has denied on a number of occasions that the club is interested in selling the striker. He remains under contract until 2020.
Te recomendamos en English
- E3 2021 Ubisoft Forward E3 2021 conference live updates: games, announcements, trailers
- E3 2021 E3 2021 schedule: dates, times, conferences, livestreams and showcases by day
- US News Which European countries accept vaccinated travelers from the US?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT $3,000/$3,600 Child Tax Credit: how do I know if should have received the IRS letter?
- EURO 2020 Who plays today in Euro 2021? Saturday 12 June: games, times, TV, schedule...
- ROLAND GARROS How many times has Nadal lost a match at Roland Garros?