RIO OPEN 2016
Nadal through to semi-finals as Dolgopolov injured
Former world number one Rafael Nadal reached the Rio Open last four without even hitting a ball on Friday as Aleksandr Dolgopolov withdrew injured from their quarter-final tie.
Nadal is playing at the low-key clay court event in a bid to find his form ahead of a tilt at an unprecedented 10th French Open crown in June.
The 29-year-old Spaniard has dropped to number five in the world after an injury-hit 2015 and suffered a shock semi-final defeat to Austria's Dominic Thiem in the semi-finals last week at Buenos Aires, where he was defending champion.
Ukraine's Dolgopolov was forced to withdraw due to a right shoulder injury.
Nadal will next play in Saturday's semi-finals against Uruguay's Pablo Cuevas, who defeated Argentina's Federico Delbonis 6-4, 7-6 (7/4).
Te recomendamos en English
- FOOTBALL Eriksen discharged from hospital following heart surgery
- REAL MADRID Ramos' former agent: "You don't mess around with Real Madrid..."
- OLYMPIC GAMES When do the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games start?
- US NEWS What states do not recognize Juneteenth?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Recent research indicates how the stimulus aid was spent and how it helped families
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS California unemployment benefits: is job hunting proof required to apply for aid?