COPA DEL REY FINAL
Official: the Calderón to host Copa del Rey final on 22 May
Villar convinced the RFEF board today to accept Atlético’s offer. The date has been set back just in case Sevilla reach the Europa League final.
Just as AS reported on Monday, the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) have approved Atlético de Madrid’s proposal to stage the 2016 Copa del Rey final between Barcelona and Sevilla at their stadium, the Vicente Calderón. The only change is the date for the final, which has been set back one day from 21 May to Saturday 22nd, to take into account a hypothetical scenario where Sevilla reach the final of the Europa League, which will be played at St. Jakob-Park in Basel on 18 May. Should Unai Emery’s final make a repeat appearance in the Europa League final, they will have an extra day to rest. RFEF President Ángel María Villar’s proposal to stage the Copa final at the Calderón, which has a capacity of 54,907, was back by the board this afternoon.
Atlético’s plan received the full support of the regional council and Madrid’s Autonomous Community, with whom the club has an excellent relationship and security will be guaranteed for the match, which also will not clash with the Bruce Springsteen concert which will take place at the Bernabéu on 21 May. The Home Office have not voiced any reservations about problems with the Copa final and the Bruce Springsteen concert coinciding but to avoid any problems, the RFEF felt it better to put the Barça-Sevilla final back a day.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: could one be approved before the US election?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester City close to signing Jules Koundé from Sevilla
- LALIGA Will Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atlético struggle this season?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Leicester sign Cengiz Under on loan from Roma
- EMMY AWARDS Emmy Awards 2020: times, dates and how and where to watch live online
- EMMY AWARDS Emmy Awards 2020: full list of key nominations by category