CHELSEA-VALENCIA | YOUTH LEAGUE
Scandalous: Valencia bow out as referee takes eye off the ball
Los Che went crashing out of the UEFA Youth League despite converting all their penalties in the shootout against Chelsea. Gil's ghost goal was missed by the ref.
Los Che were left fuming following events during the penalty shootout between Chelsea and Valencia in the Youth League (after the game finished 1-1). After the London club converted their first chance from 12 yards it was Gil’s turn to step up. The attacking midfielder’s effort went in, bounced off the stanchion holding up the net and then came straight back out. The referee didn’t award the goal, despite replays on UEFA’s website showing that the ball had definitely crossed the line. “Scandalous!!! Can’t believe what I’ve just seen…” an indignant Gary Neville tweeted. The shootout finished 5-3, with the Spanish bowing out of the European competition in spite of beating the keeper with all four of their spot kicks.
Scandolous!!! Can't believe what I've just seen.... https://t.co/58aURVS41t— Gary Neville (@GNev2) February 23, 2016
On their official Twitter account Chelsea acknowledged the mistake: “TV replays show that Valencia’s first penalty in the shoot out did cross the line but it was not given by the officials”. The Mestalla club will be looking for a resolution following today’s costly error. FIFA ordered that a penalty be retaken in the European Women’s Under-19 Championship five months ago after the officials committed a similar mistake.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus checks: how many non-filers may be missing out on payment?
- Coronavirus When and how could a second stimulus check pass in the Senate?
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: how much money is the new plan supported by Trump?
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: possible dates to approve a new relief bill before the election
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: how is the IRS contacting people for missing payments?