This story has been superceded by today's news which you can read here: Renato Sanches: Bayern Munich sign Man Utd and Barça target
Real Madrid have lost the race to sign exciting 18 year-old talent Renato to Manchester United according to in-the-know Portuguese sports daily Record. United are frontrunners to bring the budding star to the north of England, with the newspaper reporting a 'gentleman's agreement' between United and Benfica for the central-midfielder. The amount of the transfer has not yet been revealed, but Benfica president Luis Filipe Vieira wants United to raise their €40 million up-front offer and lower the €20 million in variables. The club is angling for a record-breaking Portuguese transfer deal.
Real Madrid had Renato as a summer target, and Bayern Munich and Juventus were also keeping close tabs on the midfield dynamo's progress, spurring Benfica to raise the player's buy-out clause to a level that makes him the most valuable player in Portugal, from €30M to €45M, and also extending his contract until 2021. When the club got win of the interest from Real Madrid, that figure went up to €80 million.
Not bad business for a teenager who joined the club at 9 years of age for €750, but is he "the next Pogba" as some have nicknamed him; or United's next Bebé?
Te recomendamos en English
- Tottenham Hotspur What José Mourinho brings to Tottenham Hotspur
- PREMIER LEAGUE Mourinho in 2015: 'I could never manage Tottenham'
- PREMIER LEAGUE Spurs: Kane thanks Pochettino for making "dreams" come true
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid not happy with Bale's 'bad joke' with Wales flag
- REAL MADRID Zidane to deal with hot button issue of Bale on Thursday
- PREMIER LEAGUE Mourinho's best fall-outs: From 'Demenza senile' to eye-pokes