ATLÉTICO DE MADRID-REAL SOCIEDAD
Capilla's season could be over after reckless Augusto tackle
The 20-year-old suffered a "trauma to his left ankle, a torn lateral external ligament and bruising to the lateral internal ligament in his left ankle".
“It looks like a very bad sprain. It’s a shame, it’s was the lad’s first game with us. We didn’t like that challenge one bit” was how Real Sociedad coach Eusebio Sacristán explained the injury sustained by Eneko Capilla during his First Division debut at the Vicente Calderón last night. The 20-year-old Sanse player was brought on to replace Bruma with eight minutes of regulation time remaining but didn't mamage to finish the game. A brutal and completely unnecessary challenge by Atlético's Augusto Fernández on 92 minutes, when the hosts were leading 3-0, left the young player with a serious ankle injury. Capilla had to be helped off the pitch by several members of La Real's medical team. Initially, medical staff diagnosed a sprain but tests conducted at the Policlínica Gipuzkoa this morning painted a much bleaker picture. The club confirmed that Capilla has suffered "a trauma to his left ankle which caused a tear to the lateral external ligament, which has become dislocated from the bone and bruising to the lateral internal ligament" which means he could miss the rest of the season.
There is a feeling of indination at La Real for the criminal challenge which caused the injury and also that referee Alejandro José Hernández Hernández didn't even deem the tackle worthy of a yellow card or a direct red card. Augusto did enter the visitors' changing rooms to see how Capilla was and to apologise, but La Real did consider taking the matter up with the RFEF Competitions Committee which could have resulted in the Atlético midfielder being hit with a severe suspension. As of the moment, it is unlikely that the Basque club will take the matter any further.
Te recomendamos en English
- TENNIS Serena Williams future concern after French Open withdrawal
- NBA FINALS 2020, LAKERS-HEAT LA Lakers - Miami Heat: Times, TV and how to watch on TV
- US Election 2020 What did Trump say about vote by mail in debate against Biden?
- Coronavirus India Covid-19 cases surpass 6.2 million; vice-president Venkaiah Naidu tests positive
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: how much would be paid to children and adults in new HEROES Act?
- US NEWS US elections 2020: What did moderator Chris Wallace and Trump argue about?