Cycling star Pendleton victorious on horse
Britain's two-time Olympic cycling champion Victoria Pendleton stormed to victory aboard Pacha Du Polder at Wincanton on Wednesday.
Britain's two-time Olympic cycling champion Victoria Pendleton stormed to victory aboard Pacha Du Polder at Wincanton on Wednesday to claim her first win since swapping lycra for jockey's silks.
Pendleton, 35, was unseated by the same horse, trained by Paul Nicholls, on her first start under National Hunt Rules at Fakenham 12 days previously.
But she made no mistake in the Betfair Switching Saddles Hunters' Chase, surviving a couple of uncertain jumps to romp to victory by a huge 29 lengths on the nine-year-old 5-4 favourite.
As a cyclist, Pendleton won nine world titles and three Olympic medals, including golds in the women's sprint at the 2008 Games in Beijing and the Keirin at the 2012 Games in London.
She announced her intention to become a jockey in March last year and set herself the target of competing in the amateur Foxhunter Chase at this year's Cheltenham Festival on March 18.
Recommended in English
- MLB Why is the MLB close to a lockout? What are the key issues?
- NFL Where does the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants team rivalry comes from?
- NFL Who has the biggest NFL rivalry?
- US NEWS What services are likely to stop during a government shutdown?
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES Supreme Court on Roe v Wade live updates: arguments, Abortion Law, Mississippi...
- NFL Who are the 10 best Dallas Cowboy players of all time?