Athletic Club boss Ernesto Valverde agrees new deal
*Video commentary in Spanish* Athletic Bilbao have extended coach Ernesto Valverde's contract by a year until the end of the 2016-17 season.
Athletic Club have extended coach Ernesto Valverde's contract by a year until the end of the 2016-17 season, the club confirmed on Thursday.
Valverde "My team is Athletic Club. I am very happy here."— Athletic Club Bilbao (@AthleticClubENG) 3 March 2016
'Athletic Club and coach Ernesto Valverde have signed a renewal of his contract that will keep him with the red and whites until June 30, 2017,' Athletic said in a statement.
'I am very happy to be able to enjoy coaching Athletic for another year,' said Valverde.
'I thank the club for the confidence they have shown in me to renew my contract.'
Valverde is currently in the third year of his second spell at the club having also been in charge between 2003 and 2005.
Valverde "We hope to continue on this path and even improve and get better." pic.twitter.com/FdqkgRITho— Athletic Club Bilbao (@AthleticClubENG) 3 March 2016
Earlier this season he delivered the club's first trophy for 31 years with a 5-1 thrashing of European champions Barcelona in the Spanish Super Cup.
Athletic sit seventh in La Liga and have progressed to the last-16 of the Europa League where they face Gary Neville's Valencia.
Valverde, 52, is highly respected in Spain and had been rumoured as a possible successor to Vicente del Bosque as the national team coach after the European Championships later this year.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS What's happening with GameStop stocks, Wall Street and Reddit?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check: how could it be different from the first and second ones?
- US NEWS What has Biden said about the use of private prisons?
- US NEWS How many Republican senators have voted to dismiss Trump's impeachment?
- US NEWS How many extra doses of coronavirus vaccines has Biden ordered?
- FOOTBALL UEFA commits to 12 host cities for Euro 2020