REAL MADRID 7-1 CELTA
Cristiano second top scorer in Spanish league history
The Portuguese player has overtaken the 251 goals scored by the ex-Athletic legend in 228 games. Messi achieved the feat in 290 games.
Cristiano Ronaldo continues to smash records with Real Madrid: he has now scored 252 goals in the league. This time, he has overtaken the figure set by legendary Athletic Club striker Telmo Zarra, whose league goal-scoring record stood for over 60 years until it was surpassed by Leo Messi last season. Cristiano becomes the second top scorer in the history of the Spanish league after firing four goals past Celta de Vigo at the Bernabéu this afternoon.
He has achieved the feat during his seventh season in Spain - half of the time which Zarra needed to scored 251 for Athletic, between 1940 and 1955. In fact, only Cristiano and Messi have reached such figures in less than 12 seasons.
Cristiano has taken just 228 games to leave Zarra in his wake, 62 less than Messi who overtook the Athletic striker in 290 games.
17 goals against Celta in 10 meetings
Celta continue as Cristiano favourite vistims. The No.7 has scored 17 goals in 10 games against the Galicians - and average of 1.7 goals per game. Along with his four strikes today, he has hit two hat tricks and two braces against the Celestes. In only one meeting did he fail to score against them at all - in the 2-4 Week 33 win at Balaídos last season. He opened the scoring when the two teams met earlier this season in Vigo (1-3).
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Why is Sergio Ramos not in Spain squad?
- EURO 2020 Who plays today in European Championship? Monday 14 June: games, times, TV, schedule...
- EURO 2020 Denmark's Eriksen thanks life-savers and vows to understand what caused cardiac arrest
- Copa America Brazil's Tite hails Neymar but stops short of Ronaldo and Romario comparisons
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is it coming in June? Tax refund status, homeowner stimulus check, child tax payment...
- US NEWS G7 summit recap: what did Joe Biden say about meeting Queen Elizabeth?