Casillas agrees contract extension with Porto to 2018
President Pinto da Costa confirmed on the club's channel: "It's ridiculous what has been said. We have spoken with the player's agent about an extension."
Follow Porto vs Juventus match coverage | Champions League
Porto's president, Pinto da Costa, said on the official club channel, Canal Porto, that they have reached an agreement in principle for the renewal of Iker Casillas' contract for an extra year until 2018. "We have already spoken and have agreed with the player's agent, not only to continue next year, but to extend the contract for another year after that. The ball is now in his court, because the deal is closed. We will sign when they decide they want to." The Spanish goalkeeper, criticised in recent months for a number of basic errors, had been linked with various MLS clubs in the USA. With this agreement he would be tied to Porto for another two summers, when he'll be 37.
There had been news late on in the conversations that a possible upset was on the cards in reference to the performances of Casillas but the president was clear. "This makes me laugh."
Iker has started 26 league games this season but his various errors, especially in the defeat against Sporting Braga, have somewhat dampened the initial positivity when he first signed. He was seen as one of the most exciting names in years to join the Portuguese league.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- US NEWS US Election 2020: How can I get absentee ballot to vote?
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Luis Suárez swaps Barcelona for LaLiga rivals Atlético Madrid
- BARCELONA Sergiño Dest is the second most expensive American transfer in history
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool keen on signing 17-year-old sensation Gio Reyna
- FOOTBALL Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney make Wrexham bid