LaLiga dry spell leaves Suárez trailing in CR7's wake
He's scored once in LaLiga over the past five matchdays, losing ground in the domestic and European charts. Cristiano has hit six in the period.
Barcelona's Luis Suárez is not currently enjoying his finest LaLiga form of the season in front of goal - and his recent dry spell has caused him to lose ground in the domestic and continental scoring charts.
Suárez is on 26 in the top flight this term, and is well on course to outstrip his return of 31 for Liverpool in the 2013/14 Premier League campaign - a haul that saw him share the Golden Shoe, presented to the leading marksman in European league football, with Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo.
In Barça's five LaLiga fixtures over the past month, however, Suárez has contributed just one strike - away to Eibar - with the Uruguayan drawing a blank against Sevilla, Rayo Vallecano and Villarreal, and not involved in the encounter with Getafe.
And the 29-year-old has watched Cristiano overtake him at the head of Spain's 'Pichichi' rankings in March. Having hit one at Levante and four against Celta Vigo in recent games, the Portuguese reached 28 with his goal in Real's victory over Sevilla on Sunday night.
Meanwhile, Napoli's Gonzalo Higuaín and Benfica's Jonas Gonçalves lead the way in the battle for the Golden Shoe, with 29 goals each.
Suárez's Barcelona colleague Leo Messi has been the most deadly striker in the last five LaLiga matchdays, netting seven times to rise to 22 for the season.
Te recomendamos en English
- COPA AMERICA Uruguay fire blank in Argentina loss but Tabarez's legend grows
- EURO 2020 Portugal in form but can Ronaldo, Santos and co be fun?
- REAL MADRID Pau Torres, a future option for Real Madrid
- SERIE A Mourinho ready for Roma challenge after past mistakes
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid ready to sell Jovic
- NBA Which teams have played in the NBA Eastern Conference finals the most?