Schweinsteiger suffers medial ligament tear injury
The Manchester United player suffered a fresh knee injury while on duty with Germany and will miss their forthcoming friendlies against England and Italy.
Manchester United's Bastian Schweinsteiger has suffered a fresh knee injury while on duty with Germany and will miss their forthcoming friendlies against England and Italy, the German FA confirmed on Wednesday
The 31-year-old midfielder picked up the injury training in Berlin on Tuesday. He underwent an MRI scan in Munich with the German team doctor Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt which revealed a tear to the medial ligament . Germany's captain had been working his way back to fitness after suffering a tear in the same knee in United's FA Cup third-round win over Sheffield Wednesday at the start of the year.
He had made four second-half appearances off the bench in United's last four games. Schweinsteiger is out of Germany's home friendly against England at Berlin's Olympic Stadium on Saturday, then against Italy four days later at Munich's Allianz Arena. It is not known how many United games he will now miss or whether Schweinsteiger will be fit for June's EURO 2016 tournament.
“It's the medial ligament again,” Germany coach Joachim Löw confirmed in Wednesday's press conference. “It happened at the end of the training session and he's currently in Munich being examined. I am not able to give an exact time scale as to how long he will be out, but it doesn't look very positive and it could be that there is a tear in the ligament.”
Schweinsteiger joins Arsenal's Mesut Özil, who has injured his left ankle, and Bayer Leverkusen's Karim Bellarabi, who has a bruised foot, on the walking wounded list for Germany. The pair are both being treated at the team hotel in Berlin. "I have to accept the situation as it is," Schweinsteiger told the German FA website.
Te recomendamos en English
- Square Enix's E3 2021 conference live updates: games, announcements, trailers
- E3 2021 Microsoft's Xbox and Bethesda conference at E3 2021 recap: games, announcements, trailers
- Euro 2020 Denmark team doctor: Eriksen was 'gone' after suffering cardiac arrest
- E3 2021 After missing E3 2021, will Sony (PlayStation) have a State of Play in the summer? When?
- EURO 2020 | GROUP F France vs Germany: Mbappé explains Giroud annoyance
- EURO 2020 France vs Germany: Benzema and Griezmann get green light