De Gea should be Spain's number one, says Cañizares
The former goalkeeper believes that the Man Utd man should be first choice for La Roja, ahead of friend and former team-mate Iker CasillasEngland vs Spain
Santi Cañizares and Iker Casillas are good friends, and were international colleagues for several years - but that didn't stop 'Cañete', now working as a pundit in the Spanish media, from being brutally honest as he looked ahead to La Roja's Euro 2016 campaign.
Speaking on the radio programme 'El Larguero' after Spain's 0-0 friendly draw with Romania on Sunday, the former goalkeeper was categorical in his belief that Manchester United custodian David de Gea ought to be given the nod ahead of the World Cup-winning captain.
"De Gea should have been Spain's number one for a while now," said Cañizares, who won 46 caps for the country during his playing days. "He has been far outperforming Casillas."
And the ex-Valencia keeper - who like Casillas came through the Real Madrid youth system - also indicated that he'd be inclined to leave the 34-year-old out of the squad altogether: "I wouldn't take him [to the European Championship] to be a substitute, but there's no doubt that De Gea should be number one."
Te recomendamos en English
- SERIE A Cristiano Ronaldo looking to achieve goal-scoring holy grail
- MLS MLS is back tournament changes as players test positive for coronavirus
- PREMIER LEAGUE Leicester City player ratings vs Arsenal
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths, news and stimulus checks, today
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- ATLÉTICO Atlético Madrid's stadium finally demolished: The last days of the Vicente Calderón