EURO 2016 hearbreak for Newcastle’s Rob Elliot
Rob Elliot's EURO 2016 hopes appear to have been dashed after Newcastle announced on Wednesday that he will be out for “a number of months”.
Newcastle United goalkeeper Rob Elliot's EURO 2016 hopes appear to have been dashed after the club announced on Wednesday that he will be out for “a number of months”.
Elliot, 29, damaged his anterior cruciate ligament during the Republic of Ireland's 2-2 friendly draw with Slovakia in Dublin on Tuesday. It was his first international appearance since September 2014.
“Rob has returned to Newcastle and has been assessed this morning by the club's doctor. He will now commence a programme of treatment and rehabilitation,” Newcastle said in a statement. “Regrettably the severity of this injury will rule Rob out for a number of months. Everyone connected with Newcastle United wishes Rob the very best for his recovery.”
Elliot wrote on Twitter: "Thank you to everyone for their kind messages. will come back stronger! feel so lucky to have so much support behind me. Love to everyone.
“Massive thank you's to everyone at @FAIreland and @NUFC for looking after me so brilliantly last 24 hours.”
Elliot had been deputising for injured Newcastle goalkeeper Tim Krul, who has been sidelined since October with an anterior cruciate ligament injury of his own. Elliot's injury leaves 25-year-old Karl Darlow as the only fit senior goalkeeper in Rafael Benitez's squad. Ahead of Saturday's trip to relegation rivals Norwich City, Newcastle are second from bottom in the Premier League table, three points from safety with eight games of the season remaining. Republic of Ireland begin their EURO 2016 campaign against Sweden in Paris on 13 June.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Derek Chauvin found guilty of murder of George Floyd, updates, reaction
- George Floyd Derek Chauvin jury verdict live online: George Floyd Death Trial | Deliberation, possible charges...
- US News Unemployment benefits: What state has the best payments?
- NFL Dallas Cowboys in the 2021 NFL Draft: What players could they take?
- NFL Green Bay Packers at the NFL Draft 2021: What players could they pick?
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL Derek Chauvin verdict: final conviction, charges and what will happen now?