WOMEN'S FOOTBALL | SPAIN | EURO 2017
Vilda announces squad for Portugal and Ireland qualifiers
On Wednesday, Jorge Vilda named his list of 18 players who will form the squad for upcoming EURO 2017 qualiers against Portugal and the Republic of Ireland.
Jorge Vilda announced his list of 18 players who will form the Spain squad for forthcoming EURO 2017 Holland. Spain take on Portugal in Covilha on 8 April (19:00 CEST) and then the Republic of Ireland four days later at the Ciudad del Fútbol in Las Rozas(20:30 CEST).
The big news in the list is the return of Athletic Club forward, Erika Vázquez, who hasn't featured since last year's World Cup finals. Another surprise was the inclusion of UD Granadilla Tenerife's veteran striker, María José Pérez. Also making her return after missing the last call-up is captain Vero Boquete. There are also a few notable absentees, such as Athletic centre-back Irene Paredes, and Atlético Féminas midfielder Silvia Meseguer, both of whom are carrying injuries. Atlético Féminas forward Sonia Bermúdez has been exlcuded this time, for technical decision.
Spain top Group 2 in the qualifying round, with a clean sweep of victories - four from four, with 14 goals for and just one against. Following April's commitments, only two qualifying matches will remain for Vilda's side - both of them at home - against Montenegro on 15 September and then against Finland five days later.
The Spain squad:
Atlético Féminas: Dolores Gallardo, Amanda Sampedro
Athletic: Erika Vázquez
Alabama Crimson: Celia Jiménez
Arsenal Ladies: Vicky Losada, Marta Corredera
FC Barcelona: Marta Torrejón, Ruth García, Jenni Hermoso, Alexia Putellas, Sandra Paños, Olga García
Bayern Múnich: Vero Boquete
UD Granadilla Tenerife: Mª José Pérez
Montpellier: Virginia Torrecilla
Rayo Vallecano: Alejandra López Rosillo
RCD Espanyol: Andrea Pereira Cejudo
Valencia: Leila Ouahabi El Ouahabi
Te recomendamos en English
- TOKYO 2020 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - Football Tournament draws: as it happened
- FOOTBALL European Super League, live updates: all English clubs withdraw, reactions, Florentino Pérez, UEFA, clubs
- FOOTBALL European Super League 'hugely embarrassing' for Madrid president Perez
- FOOTBALL Inter and Atletico withdraw as Agnelli says European Super League is a no-go
- George and Clippers nip Blazers late, Irving leads way for Nets
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim