Wenger urges Hodgson to keep Wilshere in mind
The Arsenal manager has urged Roy Hodgson to take a 'gamble' by including Jack Wilshere in his England squad for EURO 2016 France this summer.
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger has urged Roy Hodgson to take a 'gamble' by including Jack Wilshere in his England squad for EURO 2016 this summer.
Wilshere, 24, is nearing a return to first-team action having yet to make a competitive appearance for the Gunners this term after suffering a broken calf bone before the start of the season. England manager Hodgson has expressed his admiration and hinted the 28-times capped midfielder, who has a history of ankle injuries, could yet be in his squad even without much in the way of Premier League action.
Asked if taking Wilshere would be a gamble, Wenger replied: “If he's completely fit, no. When you're a national team coach, you can take a gamble on one player but certainly not on five. He has to consider the whole situation. You can certainly take a chance on just one player.”
Meanwhile Wenger said he had no qualms about Wilshere being included in the England squad, despite his injury record. Asked if he would welcome his inclusion and whether he expected Hodgson would select French manager Wenger said: “Yes - yes to both questions. Both answers are yes.
When asked whether he would prefer to see Wilshere stay at home, the Gunners boss replied: “You want your players to compete. When you're a footballer you want to compete at the top level and what is important is that Jack, who is frustrated enough, regains confidence. It's very important for his confidence that he can go to the Euros and he can play. It's also important to have a player of his quality available,” adding, “I'm cautious with him now but, to be back fully competitive, it will take a few weeks. Once he will be completely fit and competitive, he will be available for Arsenal and for the national team. Why not?”
Te recomendamos en English
- RESIDENT EVIL How to play Resident Evil games in order? Village included
- MAYWEATHER VS LOGAN PAUL What are the odds, predictions for the Mayweather vs Logan Paul fight?
- NBA Brooklyn Nets-Dallas Mavericks game recap: scores, stats, highlights...
- NBA Nets star Harden 'very confident' he will return before NBA playoffs
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS How effective are stimulus checks according to Biden?
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINES Covid-19 vaccine patent waiver: how will it affect vaccine production?