Real keeper Navas emulates Higuita's famous 'scorpion kick'
The Costa Rican custodian imitated the Colombian maverick's memorable acrobatic clearance in a promotional video - nice, Keylor!
It's September 1995, and England and Colombia play out a goalless draw at the old Wembley as Terry Venables' side prepare to host the following summer's European Championship.
It was the type of friendly stalemate that would usually have barely made a dent on the history books - but, out of nowhere, it produced a moment that has gone down in footballing folklore.
We've all seen it: England's Jamie Redknapp sends a looping ball towards goal, it's a routine catch for René Higuita... and the maverick keeper launches his feet into the air to clear with an unforgettable manoeuvre (below), although the flag had already gone up for offside.
Now, Real Madrid goalkeeper Keylor Navas has demonstrated without doubt that Higuita's spectacular piece of acrobatics, later dubbed the 'scorpion kick', is also in his extensive repertoire.
What do you make of the Costa Rican's effort? Marcelo looks impressed...
Te recomendamos en English
- Boxing Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr. live fight online: results, updates and purses
- Liga MX America vs Chivas live online: Liga MX Playoffs, Leg 2 updates
- Coronavirus Which benefits will disappear if no stimulus bill is passed?
- US Election What’s happening in Trump campaign lawsuits in Pennsylvania, Georgia & Michigan?
- CORONAVIRUS Covid 19 vaccine: who would receive it first in US?
- coronavirus Coronavirus in Los Angeles: new stay-at-home restrictions and dates