Jordan Henderson urges Liverpool to focus on job in Dortmund
The Reds' captain is calling on his team-mates to ignore the media circus surrounding Jürgen Klopp's homecoming, while Dortmund are fearful the emotion might be too much for the fans.
Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson has called on his team-mates to ignore the hype surrounding manager Jürgen Klopp's reunion with former club Borussia Dortmund ahead of Thursday's Europa League quarter-final clash between the sides.
Klopp spent seven seasons at Dortmund, leading them to two Bundesliga titles, German Cup glory and the 2013 Champions League final, where they lost to Bayern Munich, before he opted to take a sabbatical at the end of the last campaign. He was tempted back into management by Liverpool last October and his imminent return has been the main talking point in the build-up to the game, but Henderson is keen for Liverpool to concentrate solely on getting a positive result.
'It might be different for the boss going back to his old club but for us as players we need to go there, concentrate on the game and what we need to do and just focus on the job in hand,' Henderson told British media. 'It's a very big game against a very good team. It will be tough. They have some top players but with the players we've got, I believe we can go there and get a good result.'
Dortmund are the favourites going into the game, having eliminated Tottenham Hotspur in the previous round, but their chief executive, Hans-Joachim Watzke, believes Klopp's cult status at his former club could give Liverpool an edge.
'I fear that Klopp is trying to lull us into a false sense of security and that he will try to get our fans on his side to ensure that the match feels like a friendly,' Watzke told German newspaper Bild.
'I would like to see that our fans pay their respects to Jürgen after the game but not before and not during it. We must stand together to be able to beat a club like Liverpool.'
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Donald Trump links job numbers to a ‘great day’ for George Floyd
- Coronavirus New York records lowest number of daily coronavirus deaths since pandemic started
- Coronavirus Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- George Floyd George Floyd death: what do we know about the four police officers? Charges and backgrounds
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- Coronavirus How much money has been sent in stimulus checks and how much remains unsent?