Blow for Benzema: Real striker ruled out of Euro 2016
The French Football Federation has confirmed that the 28-year-old will not be selected for this summer's European Championship.
Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema will not be included in the France squad for this summer's European Championship, it has been announced.
Benzema was suspended from the French national team in December after being placed under formal investigation for his role in an alleged attempt to blackmail Les Bleus colleague Mathieu Valbuena over a sex tape.
French Football Federation (FFF) president Noël Le Graët met France coach Didier Deschamps on Wednesday to discuss the 28-year-old's international future ahead of Euro 2016.
And in a statement issued following the talks, the FFF revealed that Le Graët and Deschamps have opted not to consider Benzema for the tournament, which gets underway on 10 June.
Benzema, who on Tuesday helped Real knock VfL Wolfsburg out of the Champions League, took to social media to confirm the news.
He tweeted: "Unfortunately for me and all those who have always backed and supported me, I will not be selected for our European Championship in France".
Malheureusement pour moi et pour tous ceux qui m'ont toujours soutenu et supporté. Je ne serai pas sélectionné pour notre Euro en France...— Karim Benzema (@Benzema) 13 April 2016
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Gareth Bale determined to seize Clásico chance
- BARCELONA Barcelona: at least three players could leave in the January window
- REAL MADRID Barnett: "There's no guarantee that Bale is leaving Real Madrid"
- SERIE A "We're living in 1920": Lukaku's agent 'ashamed' of 'Black Friday' headline
- SERIE A Smalling: 'Black Friday' headline "wrong and highly insensitive"
- CRYSTAL PALACE Andros Townsend opens up about his gambling addiction: "I lost €54,000 in one night"