Benzema breaks his goalscoring record in LaLiga
The Frenchman's opening goal against Getafe was his 22nd of the season, his best return since joining Los Blancos in 2009.
Karim Benzema was informed this week that he would not be selected for France in this summer’s Euro 2016 championships. Nevertheless, the Frenchman ‘licked his wounds’ as he stroked the ball home from a James cross to open the scoring.
The goal, his 22nd of the season, was his best return since arriving at the Bernabéu in 2009 - his previous record came in the record-breaking 2011-2012 season when he racked up a season total of 21. Over a six-year period Benzema has scored 109 goals for Real Madrid.
The Madrid striker has five games left in LaLiga (against Villarreal, Rayo, Real Sociedad, Valencia and Deportivo) to better his personal record in a season dominated by off-the-field events.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA: which states have kept travel restrictions and which have lifted them?
- CORONAVIRUS $400 unemployment benefit: Trump signs executive order
- Champions League Messi buys Barcelona a ticket to Lisbon
- Transfer market PSG focused on Mbappe, Neymar renewals over Cristiano Ronaldo
- Champions League Hector Herrera’s experience could help Atlético Madrid