Real Madrid just one point behind Barcelona in LaLiga
Real Madrid's 1-5 win over Getafe saw them move to just one point behind Barcelona at the top of the Liga, with Luis Enrique's side defeated by Valencia.
When Piqué nodded home in the Clásico Barcelona, on the result at that time, stood 13 points ahead of Real Madrid, and 9 in front of Atlético. It looked like LaLiga was in the bag for them. However two games and 35 minutes later Luis Enrique's men are tied at the top with Atleti and Madrid are just ONE point behind, having soundly beaten Getafe 1-5 on Saturday afternoon while Barcelona slumped to defeat against Valencia at home, 1-2.
Points as it stands
- Barcelona 76
- Atlético 76
- Real Madrid 75
On 28 February, after Atlético had beaten Real Madrid in the Bernabéu (0-1) and Barcelona had defeated Sevilla (1-2) Luis Enrique's side were a full 12 points ahead of Real Madrid.
At that point Madrid had given the race for the title up completely, but a complete reversal in fortunes since the come-back in the Clásico means Real Madrid now believe again, or at least believe they have a chance, with five matches remaining (Villarreal (A), Rayo (A), Real Socieded (A), Valencia (H), Depor (A)).
The side that has never given up the ghost is Atleti. They beat Granada on Sunday evening, and are level on points with Barcelona. Barça's draw against Villarreal and defeats to Madrid and Real Sociedad show Simeone was right to say they LaLiga wasn't over.
One thing that works in Barcelona's favour if LaLiga ends with a tight finish at the top is that in the case of a tie on points with either Atleti or Real Madrid, Barça would win the title, having a better head to head record against both. (Barcelona would also take the title in the case of a three-way tie between the sides).
Barcelona have now gone four games without a win in LaLiga, have been knocked out of the Champions, are level on points with Atleti and have Real Madrid breathing down their necks.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Latest News What's happening between Fortnite, Apple and Google? Can I keep playing on my phone?
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: will I get another payment before 2021?
- BARCELONA 2-BAYERN 8 Bartomeu: We'll make decisions in the next few days; many had already been made
- Champions League "Shame": Pique says "I will be first to step aside" after humiliating Barcelona defeat
- MLS MLS commissioner supports players kneeling during the national anthem