Seven of Villarreal's players, five of whom have a strong chance of starting at the Bernabéu, have an extra incentive to beat Real Madrid tonight. Collecting three points in the capital would see the Castellón side take one step closer to clinching the final Champions League place up for grabs in LaLiga. However, given the high number of ex-Atlético and Barça players in the Yellow Submarine's ranks, their is also an extra helping of pride at stake.
Asenjo, Baptistao, Adrián and Rodri all enjoyed spells on the banks of the Manzanares, where they still maintain close ties with Simeone's squad, while Jonathan, Trigueros and Denis Suárez all earned their stripes at La Masía. And the one former madridista in the pack, Roberto Soldado, is out injured.
Of the four atléticos, Asenjo and Adrián have the fondest memories of their time at the club. During his time at the Calderón, the goalkeeper lifted two Europa League titles, two European Super Cups and one Copa del Rey. The Asturian striker meanwhile scooped one league title with the club. Baptistao's spent most of his loan spell with the Cholo-managed outfit on the bench and Rodri never broke into the Atlético first team. As for the one-time culés, Jonathan has enjoyed the most success at the Camp Nou to date. Trigueros never made it into the first team. Nonetheless, Denis Suárez will be the most keen to upset Zidane's men tonight. The 22-year-old is currently on loan at Villarreal and is set to return to Barcelona at the end of the season.
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Happy Mother’s Day: Quotes, memes, messages, and more to help celebrate
- World News Chinese Rocket: when and where will it fall to earth?
- US News Fourth stimulus check: What are Biden's economic proposals according to the unemployment report?
- LALIGA Real Madrid vs Sevilla: times, TV & how to watch online
- PREMIER LEAGUE Guardiola fumes at officials as City pay penalty against Chelsea
- US NEWS Third stimulus checks: how many payments were made in the last batch?