Karim Benzema was substituted in the Etihad Stadium with a hip problem, but not a recurrence of the muscular issue that forced him off during the match against Rayo the previous weekend as was first feared.
Jesé came on to replace the Frenchman in Manchester and Benzema has been ruled out of the match against Real Sociedad on Saturday, a vital encounter as Real attempt to close the gap at the top of the table maintained by Barcelona and Atlético.
The club’s medical staff have prescribed rest for the forward to recover from his various niggles in an attempt to be in the best shape possible for the return leg against Manchester City next Wednesday at the Bernabéu.
Jesé is also a serious doubt for the Anoeta match after taking a heavy blow to his shin towards the end of the match in the Etihad on Tuesday night. As with Benzema, the club’s idea is to leave Jesé out of the squad to play Real Sociedad so that he is fit for the City game.
Cristiano Ronaldo is also facing a fitness battle to be ready for the Champions League semi-final return leg, adding to Zinedine Zidane’s woes up front.
Te recomendamos en English
- RUSSIA Russia banned from Olympics and World Cup 2022 over doping scandal
- El CLÁSICO | BARCELONA - REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane's headache - how to stop Messi in El Clásico... 3 possible solutions
- BARCELONA Messi impossible to replace - Barcelona president
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Casemiro must avoid getting booked against Valencia
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Barcelona, Inter set to discuss Rakitic, Vidal and Lautaro Martínez in Milan
- Barcelona 'cannot afford' to lose Vidal in January, says Blaugrana president Bartomeu