PAOK don't turn up to play Olympiakos in Greek Cup
Greek side PAOK failed to show up for their Cup semi-final second leg away to Olympiakos on Wednesday as they promised and now face more disciplinary action.
PAOK failed to show up for their Greek Cup semi-final second leg away to Olympiakos on Wednesday as they promised and now face more disciplinary action from the country's football federation.
The move by the Thessaloniki club had been pre-announced by Greek-Russian owner Ivan Savvidis, who was angry after they were punished for crowd violence during the first leg on March 3.
PAOK were fined 100,000 euros (£78,000; $113,000), docked three points from next season's Greek Super League and ordered to play three matches behind closed doors.
The Greek federation will most likely now deduct three more points from PAOK and slap them with a heavy fine for not showing up at the Karaiskakis Stadium in the Athens port of Piraeus.
The refusal to show up means Olympiakos will be awarded an automatic 3-0 win and will go on to face AEK in the final at the Athens Olympic Stadium on May 7 in an attempt to win the double.
Olympiakos had also been awarded a 3-0 win in the first leg, which was abandoned in the 89th minute when PAOK fans invaded the pitch and dozens of flares and smoke bombs were thrown from the stands.
In that match, Olympiakos had been leading 2-1.
Deputy Sports Minister Stavros Kontonis took the radical measure of cancelling the Cup after the incidents for fear of violence in upcoming contests, a move which angered the Greek federation, FIFA and UEFA.
Pressure from FIFA forced Kontonis to back down on his decision with a compromise that the remaining matches be played behind closed doors.
Te recomendamos en English
- E3 2021 Ubisoft Forward E3 2021 conference live updates: games, announcements, trailers
- E3 2021 E3 2021 schedule: dates, times, conferences, livestreams and showcases by day
- US News Which European countries accept vaccinated travelers from the US?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT $3,000/$3,600 Child Tax Credit: how do I know if should have received the IRS letter?
- EURO 2020 Who plays today in Euro 2021? Saturday 12 June: games, times, TV, schedule...
- ROLAND GARROS How many times has Nadal lost a match at Roland Garros?