Ex-football star George Weah in new bid to be Liberian president
The former FIFA World Player of the Year is throwing his name in the ring to take reins of the West African country.
Former international football star George Weah on Thursday said he would be a candidate in next year's presidential elections in Liberia -- his second bid for the post.
'I want to tell all CDCians to be hopeful. This is our time,' he said, referring to the opposition Congress for Democratic Change.
'I am declaring today my intention to be President of Liberia. I know Liberians believe in me. I am ready to deliver', he told AFP at his home in Monrovia, before heading to CDC headquarters where thousands of supporters were waiting for him to officially announce his candidacy.
Weah, 49, was a candidate in the 2005 presidential elections, when he was defeated by Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.
In 2011, he ran as a vice presidential candidate under Winston Tubman, who lost to Sirleaf.
As Sirleaf is ineligible to stand for a third term under Liberia's constitution, Weah is expected to face her vice president, Joseph Boakai, 71.
Idolised in his home country, 'Mister George' as he is known, was elected a senator for the western province of Montserrado, which includes Monrovia, in December 2014, soundly defeating Robert Sirleaf, a son of the president.
Before entering politics he was a star of football clubs such as Paris Saint Germain and AC Milan.
In 1995, he was named FIFA World Player of the Year and winner of the Europe's Ballon d'Or, becoming the first African player to win both titles.
Te recomendamos en English
- coronavirus What travel recommendations have the CDC established for Thanksgiving?
- NBA LeBron James' Los Angeles Lakers set to sign Marc Gasol – reports
- BOXING Tyson vs Jones Jr: Two boxing legends and the shock defeats in their storied careers
- LIGA MX There will be a Clásico Nacional in both Women’s and Men’s playoffs in the Liga MX
- LIGA MX Four key matchups to be aware for the quarter-finals in the Liga MX
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Messi is an extravagance which Barça can no longer afford