CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
Club America claim CONCACAF Champions League
A 4-1 win over Monterrey based side Tigres was enough for the Mexico City based club to claim their second successive title.
Club America captured the CONCACAF Champions League title for a second straight year on Wednesday after a 2-1 win over Tigres gave them a 4-1 aggregate triumph.
Club America followed up a 2-0 victory over Tigres last week with another strong effort in front of a packed crowd at Estadio Azteca in Mexico City and will represent the region at the Club World Cup in Japan.
The defending champions fell behind in the 39th minute where France international Andre-Pierre Gignac converted to put Tigres on the scoreboard first. But that was as close as they would ever come to catching Club America in the overall aggregate.
Tigres opened the second half with spirit and retained much of the possession before Ecuadorian Michael Arroyo came on as a substitute in the 65th and struck soon from the edge of the box to give Club America some breathing room.
BICAMPEONES !!!!! 🏆🏆🏆⚽️⚽️⚽️✌🏻️ gracias a Dios por todo !! 🙏🏻❤️ pic.twitter.com/XqYgzT56H0— Cachis Rivera (@israeldavalos) 28 April 2016
Osvaldo Martinez sealed things and set off the celebration in the 87th minute where he converted a penalty shot following a tackle on Miguel Samudio.
This was the 11th straight time a team from Mexico's first division has won the CONCACAF regional club tournament.
Te recomendamos en English
- 2021 TAX SEASON When does the IRS start accepting tax returns from filers in 2021? dates and deadlines
- US POLITICS What did Biden and Putin discuss in first presidential call?
- NETFLIX What movies and series are coming and leaving Netflix in February 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS Does Moderna's Covid-19 vaccine work against South Africa strain?
- US NEWS When was the first stimulus check sent out and how much was it?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Timo Werner and other tasks on Chelsea boss Tuchel's to-do list