Krohn-Dehli out of action for seven to eight months
The Sevilla player had to be stretched off in Thursday's Europa League match with Shakhtar Donetsk after picking up a serious knee injury.
Just 13 minutes after coming on as a second-half substitute in the first-leg encounter in Ukraine, which ended 2-2, Krohn-Dehli saw his left knee contort in sickening fashion as he turned with the ball.
The former Celta Vigo man immediately fell to the turf in evident agony, and after receiving medical attention was eventually taken off the pitch on a cart.
In the wake of the injury, Sevilla on Friday afternoon confirmed major damage to Krohn-Dehli's kneecap, with the 32-year-old undergoing an operation.
Vitolo on Krohn-Dehli's serious injury: “I saw his knee-cap come right out of the knee”.— AS English (@English_AS) 28 April 2016
The player suffered a displaced fracture of the kneecap with the lower section being moved out of position, along with damage to the patellar tendon at its junction with the bone.
A medical source consulted by AS said that the patellar tendon (that connects the kneecap to the shin) would need to be reinserted into the kneecap, and the fractured kneecap put back together and held in place.
The injury certainly rules Krohn-Dehli out until next season; depending on the extent of the damage to the tendon with Sevilla announcing that they expect the player to miss between seven and eight months of football.
Te recomendamos en English
- KOBE BRYANT (1978-2020) Kobe Bryant tragedy: "Heartbroken" LeBron James breaks silence
- KOBE BRYANT (1978-2020) Lakers-Clippers clash postponed by NBA after Kobe Bryant death
- FA Cup Liverpool face potential Chelsea clash in FA Cup fifth round
- REAL MADRID Courtois: "It's special to play for Zidane as he was always a role model"
- ARSENAL Pablo Marí's Arsenal move on verge of collapse
- BUNDESLIGA Hertha Berlin sign Tousart, loan midfielder back to Lyon