BAYERN - ATLÉTICO DE MADRID
Gattuso plumps for Atletico: "Pep has created a monster"
The Pisa coach joined Trapattoni in wading into Guardiola's high possession philosophy and hopes Atletico prevail. "What's wrong with Mourinho and Simeone's style of football?"
Simeone's army of admirers continues to grow. Giovanni Trapattoni opened the debate about the legitimacy of Pep Guardiola's high possession, passing philosophy versus the more direct brand of football practiced by coaches like El Cholo Simeone; Gennaro Gattuso knows what side of the fence he's on - he hopes Atlético come out on top this evening. "Barcelona and Pep Guardiola have created monsters in society and in football managers", Gattuso told La Gazzetta dello Sport.
Gattuso believes that the style of football employed by Guardiola and Barça is doing harm to the Italian game. "For copying others, we have lost the defensive part of our football culture, but generally the coaches here are doing a good job", explained Gattuso, now a coach himself with Pisa. "Not all of our proposals during the past 50 years have been rubbish. What kind of football do Mourinho and Simeone advocate?".
The 38-year-old believes that the dip in level which is being noticed in Italian football is not down to a lack of talent but more down to working practices. "At the moment, our players spend 10 hours a week training, while in Holland they are playing for 10 hours a day [NB: Holland didn't qualify for EURO 2016]. Now we have other social phenomena like smartphones and Play Station but the same advances haven't been made in football", Gattuso lamented.
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Why is Sergio Ramos not in Spain squad?
- EURO 2020 Who plays today in European Championship? Monday 14 June: games, times, TV, schedule...
- EURO 2020 Denmark's Eriksen thanks life-savers and vows to understand what caused cardiac arrest
- Copa America Brazil's Tite hails Neymar but stops short of Ronaldo and Romario comparisons
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is it coming in June? Tax refund status, homeowner stimulus check, child tax payment...
- US NEWS G7 summit recap: what did Joe Biden say about meeting Queen Elizabeth?