REAL MADRID-MANCHESTER CITY
Real Madrid fans celebrating victory over Manchester City
The famous statue in the Plaza de Cibeles in Madrid city centre was barricaded to protect it in case Real Madrid beat Manchester City in the Champions League semi-final second leg.
The fans are gathering at the fountain of Cybele (in the Plaza de Cibeles) in the centre of Madrid, where the supporters of Real Madrid go to celebrate title triumphs and major victories. The fountain had been surrounded by protective barricades to protect the famous Goddess (finished in 1782) earlier in the day as a precaution in case Real Madrid did overcome Pellegrini's team.
Cybele previously suffered damage at the hands of over-exuberant fans celebrating Madrid's victories and wanting to take memento's of the venerable deity home. She's now always protected where there's a chance the Real Madrid faithful might head there to celebrate, as happened after the win over Manchester City.
Te recomendamos en English
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Beckham's Inter Miami make late bid for Edinson Cavani
- Football Kompany believes diversity in football needs to start at the top
- 2020 CONMEBOL Pre-Olympic Tournament Reinier stars in Brazil win as Tokyo 2020 qualification looms closer
- REAL ZARAGOZA - REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Another chance for Vinicius to impress
- Rumour Has It: Barcelona give up on Rodrigo, Fernandes to Man Utd finally done
- Copa del Reu Iñaki Williams thanks Tenerife fans for 'No to Racism' display