REAL MADRID-MANCHESTER CITY
Real Madrid fans celebrating victory over Manchester City
The famous statue in the Plaza de Cibeles in Madrid city centre was barricaded to protect it in case Real Madrid beat Manchester City in the Champions League semi-final second leg.
The fans are gathering at the fountain of Cybele (in the Plaza de Cibeles) in the centre of Madrid, where the supporters of Real Madrid go to celebrate title triumphs and major victories. The fountain had been surrounded by protective barricades to protect the famous Goddess (finished in 1782) earlier in the day as a precaution in case Real Madrid did overcome Pellegrini's team.
Cybele previously suffered damage at the hands of over-exuberant fans celebrating Madrid's victories and wanting to take memento's of the venerable deity home. She's now always protected where there's a chance the Real Madrid faithful might head there to celebrate, as happened after the win over Manchester City.
Te recomendamos en English
- Champions League Barcelona - Napoli live online: Champions League 2019-20
- Transfer market PSG focused on Mbappe, Neymar renewals over Cristiano Ronaldo
- Juventus sack Sarri: Pochettino, Zidane and the contenders to take over at the Bianconeri
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: will Trump executive orders include second payment?
- STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: how will negotiations continue?
- BEIRUT EXPLOSION Beirut explosion: latest news live from Lebanon