Novak Djokovic beats Andy Murray to win the Madrid Open
World number 1 Novak Djokovic beat Andy Murray 6-2, 3-6 y 6-4 in the final in Madrid. With 29 Masters titles Djokovic moves ahead of Rafa Nadal (28).
Novak Djokovic is simply out of this world. He won a record 29th Masters title on Sunday in Madrid, beating Scot Andy Murray 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 to claim the title in the Spanish capital for the second time and prevent Murray from retaining the crown. With this title the Serb moves ahead of Rafa Nadal, who has 28 Masters titles.
Fifth trophy of the year
World number one Djokovic picked up his fifth trophy of the year as he defeated Murray for the 12th time in their last 13 matches. He leads their head to head record by an overwhelming 23-9.
Djokovic has defeated the world number two Scot, who will fall to number 3 in the rankings on Monday, in all four of their clay-court meetings.
Djokovic started strongly and took the first set 6-2, before Murray fought back to take the second set 6-3. The Scot faltered at the start of the third, but broke back to keep himself in it, before falling behind yet again.
Murray managed to save a championship point in the eighth game of the deciding set and another in the ninth. The Scot had seven break points to level the match in the deciding set at that point, but failed to convert any of them. Djokovic then won his next championship point.
Djokovic on fire
The 28-year-old Djokovic has now won 33 of the past 35 sets against top 10 opponents, and has also won five of the past six and 10 of the past 14 Masters titles.
The Belgrade native won 912,900 euros ($1.04 million) and victory in Rome next week will make him the first man to win $100 million in prize money.
Te recomendamos en English
- Champions League Barcelona - Napoli live online: Champions League 2019-20
- Transfer market PSG focused on Mbappe, Neymar renewals over Cristiano Ronaldo
- Juventus sack Sarri: Pochettino, Zidane and the contenders to take over at the Bianconeri
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: will Trump executive orders include second payment?
- STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: how will negotiations continue?
- BEIRUT EXPLOSION Beirut explosion: latest news live from Lebanon