Gus Poyet signs two year deal with Real Betis
The Uruguayan is the choice of new Betis sporting director Miguel Torrecilla. Marcos Álvarez will be Poyet's right hand man.
Gustavo Poyet will be the new Real Betis first team coach for the next two seasons. The Uruguayan was first choice of Miguel Torrecilla, new sporting director at the Andalusian club. The former Zaragoza and Chelsea player has had managerial experience with spells at Sunderland and more recently with Greek side AEK Athens. Poyet is seen as a coach very much in the mold of Atlético Madrid's, Diego Pablo Simeone.
Betis have decided to make the announcement with one game remaining for the club in the current LaLiga campaign as they entertain relegation threatened Getafe next Sunday.
Real Betis president, Ángel Haro, spoke earlier this evening at an Onda Cero event stating: "We believe that Gus Poyet is a coach who meets our criteria and we feel he can help Betis in the future". Our objective for the club is to finish in the top ten next season and anything less than that will be considered a failure".
In their communique Real Beits stated how grateful they were to interim coach Juan Merino who was instrumental in keeping the Seville based club in the first division securing their top-flight status yesterday drawing 1-1 at Eibar.
Te recomendamos en English
- GAMING Where to buy PS5: stock updates at Walmart, Costco, GameStop Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon...
- US NEWS $300 unemployment benefits: are there new proposals to extend them?
- Liga MX Chivas vs Leon live online: Liga MX Playoffs Semifinal Leg 1
- US News What stimulus and executive actions does Biden plan for his first 100 days?
- PSG Neymar: What I want most is to play with Messi again
- NBA NBA 2020-21 season: Lakers-Clippers clash, Durant's Warriors reunion headline opening night