Gento: “If Cristiano and Bale helped out, they would win more”
The only player to win six European Cups was honoured at the Foro Luis de Carlos, where his team-mates Santamaría, Miera, Pachín and Serena were present.
Former Real Madrid legend Paco Gento, was the guest of honour at the latest edition of the Foro Luis de Carlos held in Madrid last night. Gento is the only player to have ever won six European Cups winning the last with a 2-1 win over Partizan Belgrade in 1966 (tomorrow is the 50th anniversary of the Brussels final).
Gento spoke at the event and recalled: "That '66 final was special as no-one thought we were going to win and we won the admiration of the world after that game”. Gento was surrounded by his team-mates from the time, Santamaría, Pachín, Serena and Miera. Santamaría was full of praise for his former colleague stating, "Gento was a road-runner and had an incredible ability to take the ball past his adversaries".
Gento also recalled his time at the Bernabeu: “We never played for a draw, we always set out to win and and we always had the support of our fans”. Gento also looked forward to the May 28 Milan Champions League final where Madrid play city rivals Atletico. "Madrid will need to dig deep and I'm confident of a win as we did in Portugal. but we'll need to give our all for the 90 minutes
He also took time to comment on Madrid star strikers, Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo: “They are two excellent players and few are like them. If they linked up more and helped the team, maybe we'd win more”.
Te recomendamos en English
- LALIGA Bayern Munich's Ryan Johansson joins Sevilla
- MANCHESTER UNITED Tahith Chong's agent suggests Manchester United exit
- IBIZA 1-2 BARCELONA Barcelona player ratings as Griezmann avoids Ibiza shock
- PREMIER LEAGUE Raiola discusses the "elephant in the room" with Pogba and United
- COPA DEL REY Unionistas 1-2 Real Madrid live online: Copa del Rey 2019/20
- Transfers Hazard, Griezmann and João Félix head up record 2019 transfer spend