COPA DEL REY
LaLiga propose new "Final Four" style format for Copa del Rey
Catalunya Radio claimed that LaLiga are studying a "Final four" style format that would see the semi finals and final played in one city.
LaLiga are studying a revamp of the Copa del Rey which would see the semi-finals and final played in one city in a format not to dissimilar to basketball's Euroliga Final Four. According to Catalunya Radio the proposal was reviewed at the LaLiga meeting held last week.
LaLiga propose holding the last three games in one particular city with semi-finals being held mid-week and the final played on the weekend. The initiative has been well received by the clubs but the main initial problem centres on sufficient accommodation to house the travelling supporters. The proposal is still in the development stage and would need the approval of the RFEF (Spanish FA) which is expected to be a formality if Ángel María Villar is elected UEFA president.
Basketball's Euroliga Final Four is cited to be the model that this proposal is based on where the top four teams in European basket ball meet in an elected European city and play the semi final on a Thursday with the final being held on the Sunday.
Te recomendamos en English
- Barcelona Leo Messi retirement date not far away warns Valverde
- REAL MADRID Bale: Real Madrid forward breaks his injury record
- PREMIER LEAGUE Mourinho: "The only thing I can say is Eriksen will be a free agent at the end of the season"
- PREMIER LEAGUE Baresi's words for Van Dijk akin to "praise from the king" says Klopp
- BOCA JUNIORS Maradona: "They have less foresight than the captain of the Titanic"
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester City: Arteta "ready" to manage but Pep hopes he stays