COPA DEL REY
LaLiga propose new "Final Four" style format for Copa del Rey
Catalunya Radio claimed that LaLiga are studying a "Final four" style format that would see the semi finals and final played in one city.
LaLiga are studying a revamp of the Copa del Rey which would see the semi-finals and final played in one city in a format not to dissimilar to basketball's Euroliga Final Four. According to Catalunya Radio the proposal was reviewed at the LaLiga meeting held last week.
LaLiga propose holding the last three games in one particular city with semi-finals being held mid-week and the final played on the weekend. The initiative has been well received by the clubs but the main initial problem centres on sufficient accommodation to house the travelling supporters. The proposal is still in the development stage and would need the approval of the RFEF (Spanish FA) which is expected to be a formality if Ángel María Villar is elected UEFA president.
Basketball's Euroliga Final Four is cited to be the model that this proposal is based on where the top four teams in European basket ball meet in an elected European city and play the semi final on a Thursday with the final being held on the Sunday.
Te recomendamos en English
- SERIE A Ronaldo scores in his 1,000th game
- BARCELONA 5-0 EIBAR Quique Setién: "Messi is a guarantee for any coach"
- BARCELONA 5-0 EIBAR Braithwaite after Barcelona debut: "I won't wash my clothes after hugging Messi"
- Bundesliga Paderborn confirm death of 14-month-old girl at Bayern game
- BARCELONA 5 - 0 EIBAR Real Madrid badge spotted on scoreboard at the Camp Nou
- Levante v Real Madrid Hazard off injured during Levante-Real Madrid with Clásico next week