HOMOPHOBIA IN FOOTBALL
Openly gay ref abandons football over intolerant abuse
Spain's first openly gay referee has called his short-lived officiating career to an end following the latest barrage of abuse levelled at him in Andalusia.
According to Andalusian daily El Español, Spain's first ever openly gay referee, Jesús Tomillero, has decided to call an end to his short-lived officiating career following an incident at Cádiz's home ground.
Tomillero was subjected to a barrage of intolerant abuse after blowing for a penalty during a match between Portuense - San Fernando Isleño on Saturday. "It's the faggot from the telly" and "You can stick the goal up your arse, you fucking queer", were just some of the distasteful things heard from the away end.
Tomillero cited the reaction from the rest of the supporters as the reason for his decision to walk away from the game: "Everyone laughing is what has had the biggest impact on me". The Andalusian native added that his life has changed "profoundly" since stepping out of the closet and that he "can no longer cope with the abuse".
He has issued a formal complaint about Saturday's events to the Real Federación Andaluza de Fútbol.
Te recomendamos en English
- coronavirus stimulus checks What have Republicans said about a second stimulus check?
- CORONAVIRUS Unemployment benefits: can you still get them if you are fired?
- US election 2020 Election US 2020: who are the top economic officials named by Biden?
- LIGA MX Miguel Herrera to continue as the head coach of Club América
- BOXING Tyson admits to smoking a joint ahead of Roy Jones fight
- Football Aspetar to host sports medicine forum until Qatar 2022