HOMOPHOBIA IN FOOTBALL
Openly gay ref abandons football over intolerant abuse
Spain's first openly gay referee has called his short-lived officiating career to an end following the latest barrage of abuse levelled at him in Andalusia.
According to Andalusian daily El Español, Spain's first ever openly gay referee, Jesús Tomillero, has decided to call an end to his short-lived officiating career following an incident at Cádiz's home ground.
Tomillero was subjected to a barrage of intolerant abuse after blowing for a penalty during a match between Portuense - San Fernando Isleño on Saturday. "It's the faggot from the telly" and "You can stick the goal up your arse, you fucking queer", were just some of the distasteful things heard from the away end.
Tomillero cited the reaction from the rest of the supporters as the reason for his decision to walk away from the game: "Everyone laughing is what has had the biggest impact on me". The Andalusian native added that his life has changed "profoundly" since stepping out of the closet and that he "can no longer cope with the abuse".
He has issued a formal complaint about Saturday's events to the Real Federación Andaluza de Fútbol.
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Why weren’t the funds from the $3000/$3600 child tax credit sent with the stimulus check payments?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Golden State Stimulus: How to claim the extra $500 under the California Comeback Plan
- Boxing Boxing legend Mike Tyson believes that Floyd Mayweather is going to win against Logan Paul
- Coronavirus Pfizer Vaccine Approval: When and where can children 12-15 get vaccinated?
- CORONAVIRUS US How to score the Clear Health Pass covid-19 vaccine passport?
- CORONAVIRUS US Covid-19 vaccine for tourists in New York: how much and where can people get it?